10 Tips for a Great Headshot
- Keep your style simple and classic. Keep the focus on you, not on your clothing.
- Avoid busy patterns, logos, stripes, or anything that draws too much attention.
- Dress to make a good impression.
- If you wear glasses, clean them before your headshot.
- Wear something you feel confident in and that flatters your skin tone.
- Solid colors are flattering on most people and draw more attention to your face.
- Make sure your clothes are wrinkle-free, and that lint, dandruff, and/or pet-hair are removed.
- If you’d like, bring a few outfits to your session to have options to choose from.
- Get a good night’s sleep and hydrate.
- Take a deep breath, relax, bring your personality and have fun.
We recommend working with a hair and makeup artist. We work with great makeup and hair artists and can refer you or bring them on site. If you do your hair and makeup yourself, keep it professional. We recommend wearing your hair down and putting some extra effort in styling it.
Get a haircut and a clean shave before your headshot or portrait session. Swing by your barber for a clean shave in the morning before your headshot.
Where does the photo shoot take place?
We come to the location of your choice within Silicon Valley. Most professional headshots are taken at the office. We love shooting onsite! We can take your headshot in your office or outside of your building. You may want to take your headshot in front of your latest project. A headshot doesn’t have to be boring!
When do I see the proofs?
We bring equipment to view your photos on the spot. You will be asked to pick your favorite photo right then and there.
How many images will I receive?
For a standard headshot, you will receive one retouched image of your choice. If you want more than one look (i.e., with glasses, a serious shot, a smiling shot, with your jacket), then we will work with you. You may want another look for your social media profiles that is different from your company headshot.
Do you retouch?
Yes! We will retouch one headshot to the level that you request. If it’s not necessary, and you don’t ask, we’ll leave it as is. If you would like additional retouched headshots, we charge $49 each or 3 for $125.
Do you offer dating profile headshots?
Yes! You might want to consider a lifestyle photo with different looks. We can work with you to create a more relaxed looking headshot. Great images go a long way to make a good impression.
Do you offer more than just headshots?
Why, yes! Our Lifestyle & Branding sessions are made to order. We will work with you to create a photography shoot that shows off what you love. It could include your family portrait or a session showcasing your favorite hobby. We can move to multiple locations. We can start at your office and end at your home or outdoor location of your choice. Include your family, pets, work group or sport team. It is $1,999 for a digital album that includes approximately 25 high resolution retouched digital images. No location fee within Silicon Valley, but we do travel for an additional cost.
Please let us know if you would not like your photo shared. We will share our best images on our Sand Hill Studio social media sites unless you ask us not to share them.